Saturday, February 26, 2011

Writing Letters to Myself and Scrubbing Headstones

Moving from California to Indiana was an emotional freak show. Most Californians/my friends figured Muncie must be the equivalent of an abandoned used-car lot full of corn, snow and misery. Since I had never actually been there, I couldn’t confirm or deny that fact.
In times of impending change or crisis I like to write letters to my future self while I still have some sort of sanity/happiness intact. So three days before my 2,000 + mile journey into the unknown I wrote out some lessons learned from previous moves and transitions:
From July 21st 2010:
What is a transitional struggle?
·         It is something that has an ending.
·         You can’t avoid it completely but you can take action to lessen the pain and expedite the process.
·         It occurs when you have to get used to a life that is completely new from what you were previously living.
·         It is probably a requirement for living an interesting life.
High school ended, undergrad ended, your graduate studies are ending now, and one day Muncie will end. Transitional struggle is a normal and required process for establishing yourself in a new place. But let’s have a proactive struggle, let’s accept the struggle for what it is.
The end.
Anyway, over six months into it and I can easily say the experience has been nothing like I expected. I loved the town instantly, was accepted into a new graduate program, found a ton of awesome bars, tried many new things, found an unexpected way to make money (freelance writing), etc. Yes, my struggle has been proactive.
Before I found a job, I decided to spend my time learning and trying new things (if I couldn’t actually earn money). So I volunteer at a historical library where I get to handle 120-year-old handwritten documents and I volunteered with a preservation society dedicated to rehabilitating abandoned pioneer cemeteries (AKA scrubbing and reconstructing 140-year-old headstones). Stuff like that.

2 comments:

  1. I like your writing style and your blog in general!
    I also really like your idea to write a letter to yourself in times of *impending* change (not after the change. I often write myself angry letters telling myself to get it together lol...not very effective haha

    I hope the transition continues to go well!

    Keep writing!
    -RRR @ RantsRavesRandomocity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My "Letters to Future Self" work best when I write them while in a good mood. I like to include what I'm worried about at that point in time (because it usually doesn't matter 2 weeks later). You should try it!

    ReplyDelete