Friday, February 25, 2011

In Muncie, It Rains Bricks Not Money

Some people go through a transition and move somewhere exciting. Seven months ago, I moved from Southern California to a small college town called Muncie, Indiana. My apartment is in a 105-year-old brick building. Almost every day, brick dust crumbles from the wall onto my furniture. But, I love living alone in my old, one-bedroom apartment with 9 huge windows. My boyfriend lives in his own apartment upstairs, but that’s another story.
I spent the last 6 years getting a BS and MS degree in Kinesiology. That fact leans more towards “mistake” than “greatest event of all time”. After years of agonizing introspection, I will be starting the graduate journalism program at Ball State University this fall. Which means I have 6 months until that happens.
For me, job hunting in Muncie went like this: Assumed I’d find a job instantly, sent out 30+ resumes, sat at a hiring agency, got desperate and applied to over 15 fast-food jobs, received ONE call back. From McDonalds. Oh, and I turned down the 10 PM to 4 AM shift at Jimmy John’s (Gourmet Sandwiches). PS. I love making sandwiches…I worked at Quiznos for awhile.
Somehow, after months of desperation, I began writing online fitness articles for a content mill (the same week McDonalds called for an interview). Now, I work from home, write for money, and utilize what I learned in college. A pretty spectacular turn of events.
BUT. It isn’t perfect. I still struggle to earn rent money (only $375 a month!). I don’t get out much. I write about “boring” topics such as muscles and fat loss. AND, I feel antisocial. So, starting this blog gives me something else to write about (me) and makes me feel like I’m talking to people. Feel free to talk back.

No comments:

Post a Comment